Tuesday, November 26, 2019

I Woke Up Like This:The Curly Dames Guide to Easier Vintage Styling

The Curly Dames Guide to Easier Vintage Styling!



   I will admit to YouTube being one of my guilty pleasures. I mean those vloggers' are awesome and have steered me to more than one awesome sale. A Vintage Vanity  helped me sew my first circle skirt, Lucy's Corsetry inspired me to make the jump for my first corset, and I could just keep going on and on. If you need the help , inspiration or just want to know what's happening in the vintage community this is one of the easiest and most easier accessible mediums in which to do it. One of the most popular topics have been hair tutorials. I don't know how many hours I've spent in the mirror with my tablet or laptop on the counter following step by step instructions from Cherry Dollface or some other popular you-tuber.
 
 However when you're a curly girl things just don't look same; no matter how great these styles are and no matter how closely you follow the steps. You need different products and depending on the style you need to follow different steps and learn the cheats because its going to look different on your hair.  This hair of the day started with me following a vintage forties hair instructional booklet and it did not go well at all. The steps were not working for my hair and it was just all around bad. I really had a bad moment, though I worked it out in the end.
   I get asked the question a lot as well as heard the subject breached on more than one occasion. Yes! you can do vintage styling with naturally curly hair or with natural hair. No their is need for heat styling you can keep your hair in its natural state if that is your choice (it is certainly mine). However what the majority of people don't tell you is that you do have to do a few things differently. Victory rolls on a person with straight hair that's been roller set will never look the same on someone that has curly hair no matter your curl pattern. So you can't sit down at your vanity with that expectation and read these six tips and your hair will come out even better than expected.






1. Shampoo at least once a week. (Regardless of your ethnicity I know there is the myth that you should wash your hair daily. This is  wrong; curly and wavy hair is very fragile and the natural oils found on your scalp are essential to not only growth but helping to strengthen the hair shaft ). Depending on your individual needs you may need more or even go up to every other week but in general once a week works for the majority or curlies. 

2.  Leave in conditioner. It's important to use a leave in conditioner, us curlies tend to need the extra  moisture. In addition the added benefits it does for your hair aren't bad either.

3.  Natural organic oil. I like to keep coconut oil, argan oil, and olive oil all on hand. These three basics will cover the spectrum of hair problems.

4. Curl defining cream. In a nutshell this is styling cream for the curly doll. The right product will take just the right amount of frizz out of your hair and at the same time give you a bit of definition through the day. All brands are not the same, however in my opinion OGX's Moroccan curling perfection defining cream; is one of the best on the market.

5. Doing hairstyles like victory rolls, suicide rolls,etc. are possible. However we all know how crazy the ends of our hair can be. So an easy fix for that is to twist or loosely braid the end of the portion of your hair that's going into the roll or tuck and continue with the style. I promise no one will be able to tell once you've achived the end product but this simple cheat will save you all kinds of time and stress

6.
I know how damaging heat can be to your curl/wave pattern.  But I also know that sometimes a girl wants to wear her hair straight or in classic curls. You don't have to go thru the long arduous process of blow-drying then straightening then curling. The best way to straighten and curl your hair without heat is with a good ole fashioned wet set. Grab some setting lotion and saturate your wet hair with it. Follow that with find yourself a good set of magnetic rollers (foam rollers work as well but in my opinion magnetic rollers give you the best result). and roll your hair up folding the ends of your hair with end paper which you can also find in the drugstore. The end papers and the setting lotion with combat frizz and help set the curl.





Fashionably Speaking...Joie Cuentista




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment Doll we enjoy hearing from you